Westmead to Granville Signalling
The Westmead to Granville Signalling Project involves works to upgrade the existing rail signalling system in the Westmead to Granville rail corridor. The project will support increased growth in rail patronage on the T1 Western Line by:
- Improving transport services and operations with the provision of more reliable services
- Delivering additional rail capacity efficiently without the need for new lines
- Allowing for reduced travel times and crowding in trains
Scope of work
E3 Advisory led an integrated project team in the development of the project from pre-concept design through to contract award of the main works contractor.
Key activities undertaken by E3 Advisory professionals as part of the project development services included:
- Collaborative project definition. Collaboration with the project sponsor and operator/maintainer to develop the business requirements and undertake option analysis to identify the appropriate scope to deliver the business requirements. Procurement and management of various designers, cost planners, headway modelling and constructability advisors. Development of a design, procurement and delivery program which would allow completion of the project within the required timeframe for the proposed timetable change
- Business Case development and Investment Assurance Gateways. Developed key input documents to the preliminary and final business case documents (including cost estimate and project program) and provided support to the associated investment assurance gateways
- Referral of the project to a Program Alliance Contractor. Developed the project referral documents, managed the project development phase, led commercial negotiations on the target outturn cost and prepared the assessment which demonstrated value for money for the sole-source procurement
E3 Advisory also provided support during delivery of the Project, including input to the configuration management gateways, commissioning and operational readiness and the “Readiness for Service” investment assurance gatway.
- Accelerated project development approach, which significantly reduced the project development timeframe by shortening the project definition phase, and running the concept design in parallel to the business case development
- Selection of an appropriate delivery strategy that provided the flexibility to maintain the project development and procurement timeframe through ongoing funding constraints and a major overhaul of the operational blueprint
- Proactive management of key risks and achievement of all interim milestones through the project development process, providing a solid platform for project delivery. The project is on track to be delivered on-time and significantly under budget